Tuesday, April 22, 2008

BLOG ENTRY FOR FRIDAY 18th APRIL

This week I finished off adding the QOOQRRR reading strategy. I have decided that I need to draw on further reading models from a wider variety of literature than I had initially considered. Therefore, next week’s submission will cover 2-3 other methods of reading. However, the models I use are open to negotiation – if any bloggers out there have any suggestions for useful reading models, please let me know!

The problem I am going to have with this literature is the word count, which I am in danger of exceeding already. My approach will be to finish the initial write up and then start editing and making sounds links between each section as some of them appear a bit disjointed. Any suggestions from fellow bloggers on making links between sections and any areas that could be edited will be well received!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kate,

first comment here, but I'll stay tuned!

The QOOQRRR approach looks great, and very meaningful. But I find it ironic that you can apparently only find out about it in Burns and Sinfield's book, which will anyway only be consulted by tutors or people interested in academic literacy; not by those it could also help, non-traditional students for instance.

This should be presented to undergrads in their first year (for instance at London Met, within Academic Literacy modules); just like incredible tools, especially online, given to students in a UK university (e.g. Athens)--too few people know about these tools, including QOOQRRR.

Great blog, and great wikified literature review! I look forward to more.

Bruno

Kate Hoskins said...

Hey Bruno
Great to hear from you - thanks for posting on my blog!
Burns and Sinfield actually produce this in a book specifically for students - I will add on the reference as this is a really good point.
Also, if you have used any really useful reading strategies and have ideas for things I could include, please do let me know as I'm open to suggestions.
Hope you blog again soon!
Best wishes
Kate

Sandra said...

Thought you might also be inerested in these reading-associated links recently sent to me by Pauline Ridley from Brighton (and LearnHigher CETL). the last one, below, is a new one to me and I really liked it.

Plagiarism awareness pack
http://staffcentral.brighton.ac.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/staffc
entral/doc004346.pdf

+ some external links:
http://www.brad.ac.uk/acad/management/external/els/pdf/effectivenotemaki
ng.pdf
How to read an academic article
http://www.lenmholmes.org.uk/students/oe209/how2read_a.htm

How to read research articles
http://cla.calpoly.edu/%7Ejrubba/495/howtoread.html

Critical reading towards critical writing
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/critrdg.html

Best,
Sandra
Of Burns & Sinfield infamy!)